If someone has advised you to start skipping breakfast to get rid of fat that you have accumulated over the years around your waist, then don’t act upon his or her advice because it is not going to complement your weight loss cause. Breakfast makes the most important meal of the day because the time between dinner and breakfast is the longest your body goes without food.
Researches have shown that consuming healthy breakfast meals rich in protein and vitamins boost your metabolism which helps maintain stable serum sugar levels after subsequent meals. People who regularly take breakfast tend to have better concentration levels and mental strength than those who are in the habit of skipping morning meals. Another reason to take breakfast is that it keeps you energetic and fresh to perform everyday life activities.
Here is a list of consequences that skipping the breakfast can bring to your health and well-being:
6 Reasons NOT to Skip Your Breakfast
1. Lowers Energy Levels: Skipping the breakfast on a regular basis has been shown to negatively impact your energy levels. Your body and brain need glucose in order to function effectively. Depriving yourself of healthy nutrients after fasting all night can deplete your energy levels which may cause fatigue, tiredness, lack of concentration and drowsiness.
2. Increases Risk for Various Diseases: Studies have shown that breakfast skippers tend to be deficient in important nutrients and vitamins which may weaken immune system, leading to many ailments. According to a study, people who regularly skip breakfast are at risk of developing high levels of low density lipoprotein which is the leading cause of heart disease especially coronary artery disease and angina.
3. Increases Mid-Morning Cravings: One of the worst side effects of not consuming morning meals is that it causes mid-morning cravings which may lead to consumption of high fat or high sugar snacks with no nutritional value. Untimely cravings often make you to take more calories, which may increase your weight due to deposition of extra calories in the form of fat in your body.
4. Makes you Susceptible to Develop Type-2 Diabetes: A healthy breakfast may help you avoid fluctuating blood sugar levels which are the major cause of type-2 diabetes. In addition, your body needs food regularly in order to maintain healthy levels of hormones such as insulin. Not feeding yourself early in the morning puts a lot of strain on your body that over time can lead to insulin resistance.
5. Negatively Impacts Your Sexual Health: Skipping morning meals can lead to a lack of sexual desire and erectile dysfunction. Your body needs a regular supply of nutrients and vitamins in order to keep your reproductive system healthy. Not providing your body with sufficient nutrients can negatively impact sperm production and sperm mortality, which directly affects your sexual health.
6. Affects Sharpness and Problem Solving Skills: According to USDA reports, a regular intake of breakfast is helpful in maintaining effective cognitive functioning. People who don’t replenish their bodies early in the morning are less attentive and possess less problem-solving abilities than those who take breakfast daily.
10 Healthy Breakfast Recipes:
- Chocolate Porridge
- Tomatoes and Bacon Egg Muffins
- Pumpkin Bread with Fried Eggs
- Egg and Sausage Casserole
- Oatmeal Pancakes
- Whole Grain Waffles
- Blueberries, Strawberries and Acai Berries dipped in Yogurt with Honey.
- Cinnamon Raisin Bread with Omelets
- Roasted Salmon, Potatoes and Red Beans
- Barley Risotto
Keep in mind that anything you eat at breakfast is better than no breakfast. If you don’t have sufficient time in the morning to prepare breakfast recipes, then opt for smoothies or milk shakes because they also contain ample nutrients to keep you energetic and boosted for the rest of the day.